Saturday

SANITY FAIR ON APARTMENT THERAPY

Every year Apartment Therapy hosts the Small Cool Contest - a celebration of living big in little spaces. I entered this year, and I hope you'll visit the site and "like" my place by clicking HERE! Voting continues until April 30. Want a tour? Step inside (it's a squeeze, but you'll fit, I promise).

STATS
Type:  Studio 
Downers:  425 square feet, on a good day
Upers:  light, location, and parque wood floors
Style:  Palm Beach Petite

Step into my office...
Details:  The walls are Hanging Vine by Mythic Paint. Desk from Home Decorators, with coral pulls from Anthropologie. The large carved bamboo mirror is a thrift store find I painted up to match the desk, and the picture frames are all vintage pieces I grouped together and painted to give the appearance of a matched set. The chair is Ballard Designs and the cushion is Python by Premier Prints. On the desk is a Crate and Barrel gourd lamp, Target tray, and random other bits from vintage stores. Nearby is a Chinese garden stool from World Market. My favorite thing about the space are the photos; I printed out my pictures in black and white and had custom mats done to give them uniformity. 

A close-up of the desk.

Turn around, and you're standing in the living room...
Details:  As small as the apartment is, I didn't want "dollhouse" furniture - everything can be used in a larger home later. The credenza (scored on eBay) is full-sized, and packed to the gills. It's all about the storage! The "art" over the credenza is my 10-buck attempt at a temporary filler for the space. I painted some posterboard and mounted it in IKEA frames using acrylic paint from the craft store. The bookcase you see to the right is IKEA, used as a room divider. Framed photo, my own. More Ballard Designs side chairs, and yet another World Market Chinese garden stool, balance the couch. The barely-there lucite nesting tables make the perfect coffee table; I can eat a casual TV dinner or serve appetizers without taking up visual space. The rug is actually carpet tiles from Flor. The pillows are still works in progress - they don't match the drapes (and two of them don't even have covers). More work to be done!

One of the lucite nesting tables, piled with malachite, shells, and jewelry.

Another view of the credenza. The lamps are vintage finds with Target shades; I gave them a little height by placing them on lucite stands. The giant green foo dogs and I are friends (and they never bark).

A peek into the "bedroom" (on the other side of the IKEA divider). You're lucky - I made the bed today!
After hanging some of my favorite D.C. art, I felt it was a little too traditional and added magazine ads from J.Crew and Kate Spade in IKEA frames. West Elm bedding, vintage Chinese screen, Home Goods sunburst mirror and lamp, and vintage gold bamboo-style table. The lattice accent pillows are Windsor Smith for Kravet, ordered from Etsy. 

The "dining room" and walk-in kitchen.
 The table is a carved bamboo, made in England and found in an antique store; I painted it a high gloss black to match the chairs. The plates are a bit of everything from Tiffany's to Urban Outfitters! Since the kitchen is a part of the living space, I carried the green theme inside with moss topiaries, a vintage tulipiere, and woven baskets and trays to corral clutter.

I hope you enjoyed the tour! This is my first apartment, and I'm having so much fun putting it together. There are more pictures on Apartment Therapy - please go to the site by clicking HERE and vote for Sanity Fair!!! You can also find more images on Pinterest, HERE.
(All images, my own. Please link back to Sanity Fair!)

29 comments:

annechovie said...

I love it!! Very charming and stylish - nicely done, Skyla!

Julie Leah said...

Absolutely beautiful! Every little nook is so charming! Hopping over to vote now!

xo

Faux Fuchsia said...

Dear Sanity, LUFF THIS 11/10!!! It is divine. I too live in a postage stamp sized home- no where near as chic. Well done. It all looks Stunning x

Nichole Loiacono said...

Wonderful, wonderful job. I would adore living here.

TINA KENT said...

You've done so well! Love the green, white & black. Love your blog too!
www.ladychatterleysaffair.com

Paula said...

Absolutely stunning! You have made an exquisite palace out of limited space, and that takes a LOT of skill - well done. I wish that i could be such a genius with accessories - I shall definitely go over and vote for you right now. LOVE your blog - very inspiring!

Newburgh Restoration said...

Loved your space! And voted for you!

Where did you get the lucite stands for the lamps from?

Renée Finberg said...

i think the place is charming.
great post.

and thank you for the kind comment!

xoxoxo

Samantha said...

Fabulous. And you got the curtains up already!

Anonymous said...

I love your space! The wall colour is perfection and that credenza is gorgeous. Love your bedroom nook as well :) xx

Anna (My Design Ethos)

Kat Tanita (With Love From Kat) said...

I ADORE the way you decorated! You are so talented!!!

xx
kat
www.withlovefromkat.com

Erin said...

I love your apartment! Do you know the style of frame and size from Ikea that is holding your art behind the television?

Renae Moore said...

Skyla,
Had to come see over here...fab dahling fab!
xx

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

cuteness!

I don't know green enough in my designs... I don't know why. It looks great in your space.

court. said...

AMAZING!!!! I found you via emily a clark today and am totally in love with your space! well done!

Chic Coles said...

Wow what a great apartment. You have fantastic style. The green wall is our absolute Favorite design element. We are so glad we found you.

Janelle said...

May I ask where you purchased your desk from? Love the desk nook. Thanks,
Janelle

Unknown said...

I found you through Emily. LOVE. You are so talented. I just love the grouping by your bed and the use of the doors {I think they are doors} behind the bed. Your apartment is fantastic.

erin said...

Found your blog through Emily Clark's today, and I'm loving it! I too wonder if you might share the source for your lucite stands? I'm having a difficult time finding lamps that are tall enough for the spaces next to my TV. I've considered setting them on books to make them taller than the TV; however the lucite is much more stylish! Great job!

Emily said...

Beautiful space! Love the green and the light curtains and how you used every space efficiently. Stopping by from Emily A. Clark.

outfit31.blogspot.com said...

Luv it! You're so creative! Your calligraphy is awesome!!! :-)

Elisa @ Crazy, Amazing Life said...

Your apartment is AMAZING.

It is so much more challenging to furnish and decorate a small space creatively and find a happy medium between "dollhouse furniture" as you cleverly put it, and overfilling the space so much that it looks cluttered. You have done such a fantastic job, every corner is absolutely stunning!

SHERRY HART said...

Totally crushing on your beautiful spaces!!!

Anonymous said...

love your apartment! im so inspired!

Alison Z said...

Just when I thought I needed to change my paint color I came across your blog! I love your apartment :) This was a great inspiration for me since I live in a small efficiency in Alexandria, VA. My living room walls are kiwi green w/ the beginnings of a beachy + vintage approach throughout. This is my 1st time living on my own and I am building my eclectic finds (which is extremely hard in DC - I'm sure you know), transitioning from mass produced materials. What are some of your favorite vintage, antique, and thrift stores in the area? Thanks for sharing your cozy casa!

ALISON | www.alisonblogz.com

Rick said...

I love your apartment. So practical yet so elegant. Plus I like green.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I LOVE your space. Can you tell me what color your green paint is?

Bread n' Butter said...

Can you tell me the color of the kelly green you used?

Moms and Fitness said...

This is gorgeous. You are so talented!!

Disclosure

Shop Hop, Great Steals, and some posts may include paid links. View our disclosure policy here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails